1/7/15 - San Diego Continuing Education North City Campus Awarded LEED Certification:
San Diego Continuing Education’s new North City campus has been awarded a Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Gold certification for sustainable and green design by the United States Green Building Council. The North City campus, which finished construction in August 2013, is one of a total of 43 projects in the San Diego Community College District awarded or tracking certification.
The North City campus is a two-story, 42,000-square-foot facility designated as the Campus of Excellence for Business and Information Technology for San Diego Continuing Education. The new facility provides state-of-the-art, technology-rich classrooms, computer labs, multipurpose areas, and administrative offices to support the business technology curriculum and was constructed using materials with high recycled content.
Sustainability is incorporated into the overall design with features such as an open air courtyard that provides day lighting and natural ventilation to the majority of interior spaces. The building includes operable windows for natural ventilation with sensors to shut down mechanical units when windows are open. This and other highly efficient mechanical systems reduce energy consumption and exceed state energy efficiency standards by 35 percent. Additionally, Low-E glazing on exterior windows maximizes the use of natural daylight and reduces energy demand.
- Architect: Joseph Wong Design Associates
- Construction Manager: Balfour Beatty Construction
- Structural Engineer: TMAD Taylor & Gaines
- Electrical Engineer: Johnson Consulting Engineers
- Civil Engineer: Burkett & Wong Engineers
- Mechanical Engineer: Bender Dean Engineering
- Fire Protection: Aon Fire Protection Engineering
- LEED Consultant: KEMA
- Landscape Architect: Parterre
- Propositions S & N Program Manager: Gafcon, Inc.
- Campus Project Manager: AECOM
- Project Manager: Gafcon Inc.
- Furniture, Fixture & Equipment (FF&E) Project Manager: Eloisa Raymundo, Gafcon, Inc.
>>Click for Article online